I’ve been to many beauty PR events over the past year and I thought I’d give you a bit of the inside scoop. Spoiler alert, they’re not all they crack up to be. Sure, free stuff, free booze, free food, sounds great right? And it kinda is, but some events just seem to have their focus all wrong. As you can tell by the photos, the best thing is the lovely folk you meet there.
- Free stuff
- Free food
- Meeting with blogger friends
- Learning more about brands
- Getting sneak peeks of new products
- PR treating you well and building relationships with brands
- Getting to meet super lovely online friends in real life!
- Playing with new makeup launches
- Being treated as inferior because your followers are smaller than others
- Cliquey AF YT Beauty Guru’s
- When they only give you like one product (makes the event not worth your time, and difficult to review the brand/line as a whole)
- When the launch is kinda BS and you realise you don’t stand for what this brand is telling people
- When the event doesn’t get you excited about the new products
- If you choose to wear casual black clothes and don’t cake on the makeup till you’re fake af, you might get mistaken as wait staff when trying to enter the venue (happened to me once, it was awful!)
So, that’s my two cents on Beauty PR events. If I’m honest, my experiences have been more positive than not, but these days I don’t bother trekking all the way to Sydney unless I’m very interested in the event/brand/product. I’m a bit negative since I’ve met many fake people in the biz, and it’s a lot more of a materialistic atmosphere than my engineering job. I’ve fortunately met lovely fellow bloggers at these events, which really make it all worth it.
I recently vlogged my experience at the Priceline Beauty Prescription PR Event if you want a peek behind the scenes of the blogger world! It is linked here.
What’s your experience at beauty PR events? Would love to hear from you in the comments!
I encourage you to check out some of the lovely fellow beauty internet folk who appear in the photos of this post. They include: Kat Shepsutt, Chantalle, Jes, Theresa, Meneka, Lily, Tashi, Michelle, Julie, T, Dawn, Maria, Rachel, Michelle S, Ria and Rawin.